Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Inspired by "Miracle Workers"

I can run. But no more than two days in a row. The runs
never feel totally swift and smooth, but
they feel better when I space them out.
I'm almost 40 and this is what I do.
Exercise
six days a week to keep muscles and lungs strong to
keep the pain at bay.
But mind the line, when crossed it's too much.
No amount of training can keep my joints from hurting after
two hours of anything--
hiking, running, biking, sitting at the computer.
I'm almost 40 and this is what I do.
Sleep more. The morning alarm battle is epic.
Every day.
But the morning oatmeal routine helps to bring me into the day peacefully.
Read more. Books keep me cogent and TV makes me dull.
Write with my students.
Remember the lessons of yoga:
Focus on the breath and all else disappears.
Stretch and stretch some more--I'll get there.
It won't happen immediately, but I will get stronger.
I'm not too old to do a headstand.
Go to Boulder Ink to connect the daisies on my arm.
I'm almost 40 and this is what I do.

2 comments:

  1. I like it a lot. I think it would be cool if you would expand on the daisies- something about how old you were when you got them might be a cool way to show how you are continuing with your youth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback! Good idea about the daisies. I threw that line in there last minute and didn't think much about what purpose I wanted it to serve. Your suggestion is a good one.

      Delete