Search This Blog

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Phoebe Cat

At eleven pm,
when the house is curled up in bed,
she comes alive
yawling at the pom pom she chases
up and down the stairs, through the hall,
kitchen,
living room,
under the dining room table and
sometimes leaving it soaking in her water bowl.
During the day
she's invisible
hiding mostly from the dog
unseen by visitors who are surprised when she does
slink into the room.
She'll appear to block the warm air
coming from a heating vent or
to squawk for her dinner.
But then she is gone
until the house is silent
the dog asleep for the night
and
she purrs and rolls on the bath mat
waiting for someone to scratch her tummy.

7 comments:

  1. I think you like your cat, but you cant admit it. I like how you say she blocks the warm air, my dog does that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you said you disliked your cat...

    "she purrs and rolls on the bath mat
    waiting for someone to scratch her tummy."
    I can see that so well. My dog does the same thing... without the purring.

    "up and down the stairs, through the hall,
    kitchen,
    living room,"
    I do the exact same thing in my poems, I like the broken up style of it.

    I don't really like to leave constructive criticism, so sorry if this isn't super helpful. I liked it quite a bit because as odd as it is, it reminds me of my dog. I swear he thinks that he's a cat. Anyway, Write one about your dog now! Maybe it'll remind me of a cat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohmygosh kitty. I love the way you described your cat, it really put a really defined image into my head. It could be because I'm a cat person and am surrounded by cats all the time and picturing them isn't really a challenge, but the characteristics were fantastic.

    I also really like the noises you gave the cat. It gave them more of a personality.

    The lines:
    "During the day
    She's invisible"
    When I read those, I read them without a pause or any sort of acknowledgement of the line break. Is it necessarily needed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "she" isn't meant to be capitalized. Got a little wild with the shift key!

      Delete
  4. I agree withe Jake! Your descriptions gave your cat a human personality. I also liked your use of enjambment in the poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you should make 'yawling' a real word.

    ReplyDelete